In lieu of my typical “3 Things Learned…” post, I’ve decided to share a few extra gold nuggets regarding sleep. Stop looking, everyone, because I have found a foolproof method for getting your child to fall asleep for naps and/or bedtime every time.
Below I have listed a few simple steps along with 34 simple troubleshooting techniques to have your little angel snoozing away in no time. It’s all so simple, I’m thinking about writing a book. Feel free to thank me by leaving a comment on this post.
How to get your child to sleep instantly every time:
Step 1: Inform your child that it is his/her naptime/bedtime.
Step 2: Place your child in his/her crib.
Troubleshooting Techniques: If your child does not fall asleep instantly, here are some of the possible reasons to address –
1. Your child is not sleepy enough
2. Your child is too sleepy
3. Your child is bored
4. Your child is understimualted
5. Your child is over-stimulated
6. Your child is hungry
7. Your child’s diaper is too wet
8. Your child’s diaper is too dry
9. Your child would rather stay awake
10. Your child is gassy
11. Your child needs to burp
12. Your child is already asleep
13. Your child just wants to make you angry
14. Your child’s room is too bright
15. Your child’s room is too dark
16. Your child’s room does not have enough white noise
17. Your child is uncomfortable
18. Your child’s clothes are too tight
19. Your child’s clothes are too loose
20. Your child wants to be held
21. Your child wants you to leave him alone
22. Your child is screaming
23. Your child has the hiccups
24. Your child is pooping
25. Your child wants his pacifier
26. Your child hates his pacifier
27. Your child wants to be soothed
28. Your child wants to cry-it-out
29. Your child needs to be swaddled
30. Your child hates being swaddled
31. Your child just woke up
32. Your child is extraverted
33. Your child is introverted
34. Your child stopped taking naps years ago
*Disclaimer: In the event that you run through each of these problem-solving techniques and find that your child has indeed already missed his or her nap time during your attempts, start once again with number 1 and continue the cycle until you or your child fall asleep from exhaustion.
For anyone who’s ever wanted to tell all the sleep experts exactly what they can do with their advice and techniques – know you’re not alone.
Here’s to doing whatever works for you and your child – one nap at a time.